Sunday, February 5, 2012

Morgan Turns 5

Once again, Morgan asked me to make baked donuts to bring in for his birthday snack. I didn't have the right ingredients to make a traditional chocolate glaze so I put frosting on instead. I don't know if it was the frosting, the new recipe I tried or the fact that the kids are a year older but they went over great and a lot better than last year. Pepper was super happy to be at school and a part of the festivities. This girl cannot wait to go to school!
Later that same Thursday (there was no school on Friday,) Morgan had his 5 yr doctor appointment. He was pretty stoked to wear the robe because it seemed like a backwards jedi cape to him. He was also excited to show the doctor and the nurse his Star Wars underwear. It's the little things in life. He was not super excited to get his booster shots so that he will be ready for kindergarten in the fall. Like always he was a trooper and the nurse was so surprised she gave him two lollipops and a sticker. Morgan weighed in at 52 lbs, this kid is no lightweight but was still in the normal boundaries for body mass index. Good to know.
On Friday morning, I took the kids up to Romp n Stomp in Medina. They have been begging me to go there and since Morgan had the day off of school and it was his birthday weekend, I relented. Unfortunately, no friends could make it that day but we ran into some old Little Gym friends and ended up having a fabulous time. We love this place and they added more time to the open play time without raising the price so it's now even better.
The big slides are always the crowd favorite.
After an hour and a half of free play they deflate the bouncy toys and have a story/music time and a craft activity for about a half hour before another hour of open play time.
They love story time.
The activity was to make masks.
The birthday boy is a star!
Friday night, Cody and I were up very late getting ready for Morgan's big, huge birthday bash. I had asked Morgan weeks ago what kind of party he wanted. He insisted on a Star Wars/Scooby-Doo party. I love a good party planning challenge but I must admit that this one almost broke me. From now on we are sticking to one theme because I felt like I was planning two whole parties but not doing them both justice. Anywhoo, here are the cupcakes I made.
Cody was the genius that came up with putting cards on the cupcakes and using marshmallows to stand them up. Such a great husband; I couldn't party plan without him.

I ordered some special cookies from Heather's bakery for the goodie bags.
I thought they turned out so cute and tasted great as well.
I got very stressed about this party not only because of the dual themes but because Morgan wanted to invite A LOT of his friends. There are 11 kids, including him, in his preschool class and he wanted to invite everyone. I thought for sure most of them would be busy but I was wrong. Only two girls didn't make it. He also has a lot of friends at church so we were going to have a big crowd. I wanted to make sure everyone had a good time and didn't feel overwhelmed by the number of kids. I wanted to make sure the adults were happy as well and everyone was fed. In the end we had 15 kids, including Morgan and Pepper and Abby's little brother, Ben.
Most everyone wanted to be wherever Morgan was so here's part of the group eating lunch with him.
The kids started arriving at noon on Saturday the 28th. This was our first party where we let the parents drop off the kids. Luckily, some of my friends from church were nice enough to stay and help out along with one dad of a school friend. After everyone arrived, we started with a Scooby-Doo mystery game. I told the kids a story about a grumpy old wizard who likes to steal birthday cupcakes. I showed them a picture of Cody wearing a bunch of winter gear hovering over the cupcakes. I told them the Mystery Inc. gang got called away so they had to find the clues and stop the grumpy old wizard. They split up and searched our first floor looking for winter gear from the picture. Once they all found them, I told them I heard the wizard in the basement and handed them all silly string (grumpy wizard catcher spray) and told them to go get him. Only a few were scared of Cody and Pepper was not happy watching everyone attack her daddy. Also, note to everyone, do not use a lot of silly string in the basement because it will stink forever! Overall the kids seemed to have fun with the mystery.
The rest of the party eating in the dining room.
A Shaggy and Scooby sized spread for everyone.
Jack showing off the rest of the grub. Such a great smile.
After filling up, the kids were ready to play again. This time we sent them down to the basement for jedi training. They each got a glow stick and Cody had hung some wiffle balls from the ceiling for them to try and hit. They could also try to balance some balloons on them by using the force. After a while of playing, we told them that some jedi and princesses were hidden in the balloons and they needed to save them by popping the balloons. Again, not all of the kids enjoyed the noise but overall they had a great time. Any kids who didn't want to go in the basement just played nicely in the playroom or hung out by the snack table. So it all worked out and everyone was happy. Thanks, Auntie Mesha for the great party ideas:)

Cupcake and ice cream time. I will post all the videos of the party later. After cupcakes, Morgan opened his mountain of presents and then the kids just played until their parents came to get them. I know I shouldn't stress so much but I'm so glad it all went smoothly and everyone had a great time. Hazel even slept up in her bed for most of it and then happily hung out in Heather's arms until the end. Such a great baby that one!
Morgan with his present pile. I prepped him beforehand about being excited about every present no matter what it was. Morgan was great about telling everyone thank you although he didn't really have to "act" excited because he got lots of super fun stuff. Towards the end of the party Pepper asked me to take her upstairs so she could take a nap and fell instantly asleep. I also pretty much crashed after the party...for a little while at least because shortly after it was over I took Morgan and Hazel and drove to Cleveland to pick Auntie Mesha up from the airport.
Daddy and Hazel watching Morgan open his presents so he can start playing with them.
On Sunday after church, our good friend, Sharon, drove up from Cincinnati to spend the afternoon catching up with us. Mesha, Sharon and I grew up in New Jersey together and have remained friends ever since. We were roommates in Payson, Utah before Cody and I got married. It is always fun to get together and never seems like any time has passed. Lifelong friends are great like that:) Oh, and for those of you who know us, we are kneeling down. I didn't shrink and they didn't grow, teehee.

Morgan showing off some more birthday gifts. Us ladies chatted while Cody made us a very yummy dinner. Then Sharon had to head back home. Auntie Mesha brought a R2D2 cake pan from Utah. She made and decorated an awesome cake for Morgan so we could have a little family celebration on his actual birthday.
Mesha hard at work. You'd think this was a smile but this is her concentration face. Makes me smile!
The amazing finished product.
Morgan was pretty excited, which is probably why he kept calling it a C3PO cake.
Mesha also brought him a R2D2 popcorn bucket she picked up at Disneyland.
Morgan showing off the rest of his goodies from mommy and daddy and Gramma Goodier. Morgan was a very lucky boy and had a fantastic birthday weekend. He got lots of calls and cards and was grateful to everyone who helped him celebrate. I will post more about our week with Mesha next and also put up the videos from all the festivities. One of my favorite parts of the whole weekend was Sunday morning when Morgan and I were snuggling on the couch before church. I told him the story of the day he was born. He loved hearing about it and kept asking for more details and what happened next. I think I will have to make this a yearly tradition because is was so great to relive that special time when I first became a mom. I love you my little man and am so grateful to be your mother!

No comments: