Beth and The Akron Marathon
Freelance submission by Cody Adams
I used to think that running was hard. For most of my life running was a punishment for something I had done wrong – gone off-sides, missed a block or otherwise offended one of my coaches’ delicate sensibilities. We’d run and the coaches would yell until we were both red in the face and the coaches felt we had sufficiently “hustled.” With such a running background it’s easy to see why I started running with some degree of trepidation.
One thing that I did learn from the aforementioned coaches was that running (read: forced intense physical activity) wasn’t going to kill me. Over time, I learned that there are really only two options once you get to the difficult part of any conditioning exercise. Option 1 – die because your weak, doily-sniffin’, lily-soft, pansy-waist carcass just can’t take it anymore, or 2) keep going until your finished. Stopping was never an option – if you knew my coaches you’d know that mental toughness was developed internally with something called “guts” or externally with something called “a swift kick in the…”
Since I learned that I wouldn’t drop dead when things got tough I have learned to enjoy running and even choose on many occasions to go out on my own accord. Things were going smoothly until I learned that Beth had signed up for a relay leg in this year’s Akron Marathon. Watching someone you love battle with running is hard. I found it difficult to be supportive when I knew that, 1) running was difficult for Beth, and 2) she had never done anything like this before. Don’t get me wrong, when she woke up at 5:15 to go running I didn’t sit by the window and wring my hands nervously until she got back but I did whisper several short prayers that she would be OK and have a good run.
My prayers were answered and Beth returned triumphantly with a story of how she went a little further, ran a little longer or otherwise improved her performance. At times it was hard to hear how running had inflicted an injury or two but it was great to see her get back out there the next day and keep going through the pain. Encouraging her growth and mental toughness became easier over time and, at long last, the day of the big race came. Beth went about her pre-race activities with the tell-tale signs of someone who had been thinking these things through for a long time. She set out on race day full of anticipation, excitement and a little dread. I wished her well and sent her off to the big race with the same mixture of emotions.
I busied myself with the kids and our own little marathon – the Kids one-mile fun run. Despite the activity I was nervous about what I would find at the end of Beth’s relay section – she had the shortest section but it was almost entirely up hill and it was usually the make-it or break-it part of the marathon for even the most seasoned runners. She had the most difficult part of the race and I wasn’t sure what I would find at the finish line.
Soon enough the kids and I headed to our rallying point and prepared to meet mommy at her finish line. We found a parking spot, popped out of the van and headed down the street to meet mommy as she crossed the finish line. I could see the exchange point down the road ahead of us and I busied myself with getting there fast so we could get a good spot to see Beth as she finished but, low and behold, she was already there! Her team was ahead of schedule due to their training and a good dose of race-day adrenaline. Beth had finished her section early and in better than expected time. Beth had surpassed her own goals and crossed her finish line all by herself! For a second, I was sad we had missed her big finish but as the kids and I got closer to Beth I could see a smile on her face and she positively glowed with pride. She had done it and she had done it all by herself. Running is very personal so I think its almost fitting that Beth finished her first run-with-a-purpose on her own. When you’re out there running – despite what coaches may be yelling – the only voice that matters is the one in your head telling you to keep going and get to the finish line and getting there takes some mastery over your body. The glow of victory is brightest once the mind and body have had some time to talk it out and become friends again. So we basked in the glow as a family for a few minutes and then Beth ran to catch the bus and meet up with her teammates.
It is difficult watching someone you love struggle with running. But once they’ve finished their race, realized that running won’t kill them and found success that can only be found inside its all worth it. Supporting someone as they work and struggle to do something on their own and not give them a way out is tough but also takes a lot of love. Watching a child take their first steps even though you know they’re going to fall is tough but takes love. Letting a child try and try again is tough but takes love. Reminding a wife to get up and go running is hard but it takes love. And love, as they say, conquers all – including the battles your loved ones have to face on their own. I guess that’s why my coaches yelled so much – they must have loved me! A lot!
Beth – great job finishing your race! I love you!
Freelance submission by Cody Adams
I used to think that running was hard. For most of my life running was a punishment for something I had done wrong – gone off-sides, missed a block or otherwise offended one of my coaches’ delicate sensibilities. We’d run and the coaches would yell until we were both red in the face and the coaches felt we had sufficiently “hustled.” With such a running background it’s easy to see why I started running with some degree of trepidation.
One thing that I did learn from the aforementioned coaches was that running (read: forced intense physical activity) wasn’t going to kill me. Over time, I learned that there are really only two options once you get to the difficult part of any conditioning exercise. Option 1 – die because your weak, doily-sniffin’, lily-soft, pansy-waist carcass just can’t take it anymore, or 2) keep going until your finished. Stopping was never an option – if you knew my coaches you’d know that mental toughness was developed internally with something called “guts” or externally with something called “a swift kick in the…”
Since I learned that I wouldn’t drop dead when things got tough I have learned to enjoy running and even choose on many occasions to go out on my own accord. Things were going smoothly until I learned that Beth had signed up for a relay leg in this year’s Akron Marathon. Watching someone you love battle with running is hard. I found it difficult to be supportive when I knew that, 1) running was difficult for Beth, and 2) she had never done anything like this before. Don’t get me wrong, when she woke up at 5:15 to go running I didn’t sit by the window and wring my hands nervously until she got back but I did whisper several short prayers that she would be OK and have a good run.
My prayers were answered and Beth returned triumphantly with a story of how she went a little further, ran a little longer or otherwise improved her performance. At times it was hard to hear how running had inflicted an injury or two but it was great to see her get back out there the next day and keep going through the pain. Encouraging her growth and mental toughness became easier over time and, at long last, the day of the big race came. Beth went about her pre-race activities with the tell-tale signs of someone who had been thinking these things through for a long time. She set out on race day full of anticipation, excitement and a little dread. I wished her well and sent her off to the big race with the same mixture of emotions.
I busied myself with the kids and our own little marathon – the Kids one-mile fun run. Despite the activity I was nervous about what I would find at the end of Beth’s relay section – she had the shortest section but it was almost entirely up hill and it was usually the make-it or break-it part of the marathon for even the most seasoned runners. She had the most difficult part of the race and I wasn’t sure what I would find at the finish line.
Soon enough the kids and I headed to our rallying point and prepared to meet mommy at her finish line. We found a parking spot, popped out of the van and headed down the street to meet mommy as she crossed the finish line. I could see the exchange point down the road ahead of us and I busied myself with getting there fast so we could get a good spot to see Beth as she finished but, low and behold, she was already there! Her team was ahead of schedule due to their training and a good dose of race-day adrenaline. Beth had finished her section early and in better than expected time. Beth had surpassed her own goals and crossed her finish line all by herself! For a second, I was sad we had missed her big finish but as the kids and I got closer to Beth I could see a smile on her face and she positively glowed with pride. She had done it and she had done it all by herself. Running is very personal so I think its almost fitting that Beth finished her first run-with-a-purpose on her own. When you’re out there running – despite what coaches may be yelling – the only voice that matters is the one in your head telling you to keep going and get to the finish line and getting there takes some mastery over your body. The glow of victory is brightest once the mind and body have had some time to talk it out and become friends again. So we basked in the glow as a family for a few minutes and then Beth ran to catch the bus and meet up with her teammates.
It is difficult watching someone you love struggle with running. But once they’ve finished their race, realized that running won’t kill them and found success that can only be found inside its all worth it. Supporting someone as they work and struggle to do something on their own and not give them a way out is tough but also takes a lot of love. Watching a child take their first steps even though you know they’re going to fall is tough but takes love. Letting a child try and try again is tough but takes love. Reminding a wife to get up and go running is hard but it takes love. And love, as they say, conquers all – including the battles your loved ones have to face on their own. I guess that’s why my coaches yelled so much – they must have loved me! A lot!
Beth – great job finishing your race! I love you!
The night before the race we all got together to pick up our race packets and to go out to a pasta dinner. We had a great time getting to hang out in non-running gear and children-free. Our team's name was "Got Kids," between the five of us we have sixteen kids. Children-free is a big deal:)
After the race we all went to lunch, except for poor Jessie who got a migrane. It was so fun to be able to share this whole experience with these wonderful women. They were a big part of my motivation to get up really early in the morning and do something that I never thought I would be able to do. I had such a great time running with these wonderful ladies and with Cody and the kids on Saturday mornings. I must admit that now I am hooked! I had such a fun time on race day and just enjoyed the whole experience. Now I finally understand what everyone has been talking about all these years. I CAN'T wait till next year!
While the ladies and I were running our relay and my friend Becky was running the half-marathon, Cody and Jerry took the kids downtown to do the Kids Fun Run. We did it last year while Keven was running the marathon and had such a fun time that I didn't want them to miss out since I was busy. Thank you guys for braving the craziness. Such great smiles from the girls, even if they're not actually looking at the camera!
Thanks to the Shockey's for letting us borrow their double jogging stroller for our weekly runs. I guess it is finally time for us to buy our own.
After the race we all went to lunch, except for poor Jessie who got a migrane. It was so fun to be able to share this whole experience with these wonderful women. They were a big part of my motivation to get up really early in the morning and do something that I never thought I would be able to do. I had such a great time running with these wonderful ladies and with Cody and the kids on Saturday mornings. I must admit that now I am hooked! I had such a fun time on race day and just enjoyed the whole experience. Now I finally understand what everyone has been talking about all these years. I CAN'T wait till next year!Please, tell me one day she'll grow out of this?!

I included this one because I just love Ben's smile and bright blue eyes. This kid is going to be a big hit with the ladies!
That is a pretty cool look Daddy put Pepper in!

And they're off!
And tired!
Nearing the finish line.
Cody told me that near the end of the race there were a lot of older kids standing along the edge of the race cheering the younger kids on. They were clapping and giving high-fives. Well, Pepper cannot miss out on any high-five opportunity and would run a little, stop, give a high-five, look up at the kid and then run on. She did this at least six time while the crowd went wild for the cute little runner. Right before the finish line, after working the crowd, Pepper tried to get back into the stroller. It did not work out quite as she planned and she ended up falling face first into the ground and giving herself a fat lip. Cody said he carried her across the finish line bleeding and crying. She had quite a large, fat lip going by the time they got over to me at the end of my portion of the race. But they were both so happy to see me and made me feel so proud of my accomplishment.
I can't thank Cody enough for everything he does for me and our family. He encouraged me every step or run of the way and it made all the difference!
Thanks everyone!
Who would have guessed?!

2 comments:
CONGRATS! I am glad that you caught the racing bug! Cody, quit your day job already and a syndicated column! I think all you have to do is watch "Marley & Me" and you'll know how to get syndicated! Congrats, again, Beth! I love you!
loved reading this post and the first part Cody wrote, holy cow, he can write! Everything he said was very well put!! Beth I am SO proud of you for doing the race, it was so fun to have you on the team, and I was WAY impressed with your dedication in meeting me so early in the mornings to run and with all of our aches and pains that we have, I can't find too many people who want to run with me that done have the bone problems like we do, but Cody is right, its mind over body and you did it and did an awesome job! I so can't wait to do it again next year! Love the pictures from the fun run, Pepper looks so cute in that shirt and brown shoes, your kids have the cutest personalities! Maybe next year will be a little easier for JOsh to take the kids to the fun run while we are running...
Post a Comment