Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Pie Making Class

A few weeks ago the Relief Society asked me to help with a baking night by teaching a class on pie making. I was more than happy to help but a little nervous that I wouldn't have that much to teach all the ladies, especially the older ones. I asked around and put a lot of thought in to what I would teach/demonstrate. In the end I made an apple-dried cherry pie with decorative upper crust, pumpkin and french silk pie ahead of time for the ladies to eat. 



The apple pie ready to eat.
The crust for the french silk pie.
I was worried I would end up with a lot of leftover pie. Turns out I didn't even get a bite of any of them and took home empty pie plates. At least I'm glad everyone enjoyed them.
I decided to demonstrate a lattice top berry pie for everyone because most people think it is too difficult but in reality very easy. I had about 20 or so sisters in the class of various ages. I was surprised how many of the older sisters asked questions or were impressed with what I was doing. A lot of them said they could never get there crust right or their mothers told them it was too hard and they never tried. They even ooohed and ahhhhed when I just rolled out the crust, which wasn't even really part of the demonstration just necessary. Too funny.
The finished berry pie at the end of the class. I froze it and used it for Thanksgiving. Worked out great for me.
The other pie I demonstrated was a coconut cream with a meringue top. I know some people just don't like meringue, which is crazy to me, but I also know that a lot of people don't make them because they think it is too hard. It can be a bit tricky but once you know the rules or science behind it, it is really not that hard.
The finished coconut cream. I was a little distracted teaching the rest of my class that I didn't check on this till the timer went off. So it was a bit browner than I would have liked. I gave it to a sister in the ward to take home and she said it was great so I guess it all worked out. 
I love baking and I love pies. It was a lot of fun to share those loves with the ladies in my ward.

No comments: