Day 3 of our Labor Day weekend trip was the outing I was most looking forward to doing. After breakfast, we were headed to Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello. I love visiting historical homes and after the day before I was excited to do something I really wanted to do!
| Tired but smiling, Cody. |
| Our amazing tour guide on the Slavery Tour. He recounted slave life in Monticello and showed us some of the artifacts they have on the estate. Truly fascinating!!! |
| Standing in the layout of a slave home. |
![]() |
| Part of the blacksmith shed. |
| Jefferson's vineyards. |
![]() |
| Evelyn taking in the view. |
| The side porch sits on top of his stables. |
| Look familiar?! Check your nickel. |
![]() |
| Checking out the different service rooms like smokehouse, kitchen and laundry. |
| Ice storage modeled nicely by Cody. They would cut out huge chunks of ice from the river during the winter and fill this humongous and deep well. The ice would last them through the rest of the year! |
![]() |
| Jefferson's grave and family cemetery. |
![]() |
| Taking a tour of the visitor center museum. Jefferson was a fanatic about seeds and keeping meticulous records. |
I loved being able to visit this important historical site. Jefferson was a fascinating and complicated man that accomplished so much for our country. I love history! And spending time with Cody! Win, win.








No comments:
Post a Comment