Sunday, July 6, 2014

Truly's Memorable 1st 4th of July

Cody and I had big plans to go to Robin's house for the 4th of July vacation. We were looking forward to this last holiday celebration together and hoping Khan's family would join as well. On Tuesday night, I noticed Truly seemed a little extra fussy and warm. I tried to take her temperature with the ear thermometer but it didn't really work. She fell asleep so we all went to bed and I didn't think much more about it. During the night she seemed extra fussy and around 3 a.m. I noticed she seemed VERY warm, I took her temp again and this time it said 100.9. We called the nurse hotline and they said anything over 100.4 in a newborn means a trip to the ER. I loaded Truly up real quick and took her to Akron Children's Hospital downtown. I feel very blessed that we have such a great children's hospital so close to us. It took me about 15 minutes to get there and they have free valet parking at the ER. By 4 a.m. we were seeing a doctor after they took her temp and it was 102.
We didn't really do much for this holiday but I was happy to have a picture of my four little patriots!
The ER doctor ordered an IV be put in for Truly to receive medicine and to test her blood. They also ordered a spinal tap to make sure it was not menigitis. Turns out, with new babies, any high fever demands the full work up because they have to make sure there is nothing seriously wrong. This also meant immediate admittance to the hospital and a two day stay. The menigitis test takes 48 hours to get the results so in the meantime they act like that is what is wrong, give her antibiotics and monitor her. I could not believe all of this was happening and was feeling very over-whelmed. Luckily, all of the doctors and nurses were so helpful and kind and helped me through the process. Cody couldn't get to me until he had someone at the house with the other kids, around 9 a.m.
The IV experience was pretty traumatic for both of us. It was heartbreaking to sit there and watch your baby scream and not be able to help or make the pain stop. After that trauma, they suggested I go to the waiting room for the spinal tap. Since there was nothing I could do, and I was barely keeping it together, I went. After that, we both rested until it was time to go upstairs to the 7th floor.

I was extremely happy to see Cody show up. I am so grateful that I do not have to go through this parenting thing alone. Cody is definitely my rock!
Truly taking a nap in her hospital room. Such a sad little sight for a 5 week old baby, but so glad I could be there with her the whole time.
Everyone, with the exception of Truly maybe, was happy to be together.



The older kids spending some time in the playroom area with me while Daddy takes care of Truly.


After all the tests were run, everything came back normal and they decided that she probably just had a virus, like a cold, and would be just fine. In the end, we probably didn't need to spend two days in the hospital but I am so grateful that Truly was so well taken care of and if anything had been seriously wrong, we would have been in great hands. Finally, on Friday the 4th, we were allowed to go home. Needless to say, we did not go anywhere and did not get to see any fireworks but we were very grateful to be home and for Truly's good health. Hopefully, next year we can have a more relaxing and fun-filled 4th of July.
This girl was a trooper and slept great in the hospital. This marked the beginning of her nursing issues and extreme fussiness. Good thing she's so cute!


No comments: