Wednesday, May 7, 2008

It's Been One Day Since I Saw Them Live!

If you know me well enough, you know that you were supposed to sing that title to the tune of "It's been one week since you looked at me" from the song "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies. Saying I'm a bit of a fan would be an understatement since I am an official member of the Ladies Room and have been since college. I have had the great pleasure of seeing them twice in concert, once when I was eight months pregnant.
Their music just makes me happy, enough said.
So a few days ago I received an email from the fan club letting me know the cd/book I had pre-ordered of their new children's cd, Snack Time, was on its way and that they would be in NYC this week doing some promo for it. I made sure I watched Good Day New York on Tuesday because they would be performing...sorry Morgan we had to miss Curious George. I also noticed that they would be performing at a Barnes and Noble in Tribeca later that day and doing a cd signing. Well, guess who dropped Morgan off at our friend Kiasa's and headed downtown for a little fun?!
That's right ME!!!
In order to get a seat I had to purchase another copy of their new book and cd, which I gladly did and was able to get a second row seat right in the middle. It was so fun to be able to see them this close in person. It would have been fun to share this moment and I'm sure Morgan would have sat still for a few songs but I think concerts will have to come a little bit later.

Ed Robertson and Jim Creeggan rocking out. I love Jim's face..."doing the white man's overbite" (what movie? what movie?)

I absolutely LOVE Steven Page's voice and I must say I am now a little in love with his green shoes!

The guys relaxed right in front of me while waiting to begin signing away. They were very nice about everything and seemed genuinely friendly. I needed two more signatures on a tote bag from their cruise Ships and Dip (a friend went on the cruise and brought home the tote for me with 3 signatures, and yes I totally want to go on the cruise next year!) and they were happy to oblige. I also got them all to sign the book for Morgan...now I have to decide whether or not to let him actually read that copy or get another one. "Tough Decision" (what movie? hint: say it with a french accent)

Morgan was also excited about the goodies and the music. We put on the cd while he was eating dinner and he totally rocked out! My little man has good taste. I totally recommend the new cd and book to anyone with kids or not for that matter. They have such catchy music and clever lyrics. Definitely music both child and parent can enjoy.

Here are some videos from the concert. The first one is a sample of their playful banter between songs and a part of an older favorite song of mine "Another Postcard" from the Everything to Everyone album. The second video is the end of their performance with a banjo version of "One Week". It cuts out because I ran out of room on my camera but still fun to listen to. Thanks for indulging a nerdy passion of mine and I hope you enjoyed.


4 comments:

Jill and Kevin said...

Living in NYC sure has its perks!!! I'm glad you got to see them again. How fun! Morgan is so cute with his big smile. Maybe my next baby will like to smile for the camera (or smile in general). Jane just likes to make you work for it.

Wanderingfamilies said...

That is SO dang cool! Living in NYC definitely has its perks! I also love how excited and happy Morgan looks at your new goods!

Unknown said...

How fun is this Beth! I saw them at the SLC Olympics and they are such great performers. Glad you got to be up close.

jamiegilson said...

I LOVE THEM!!! 2nd row. That's AWESOME!!! We're going to have to go pick that one up.
I have to admit that I didn't know any of those movie quotes though. I tried, I really did.